MODAUTOPICA proposes an alternate system for the future of fashion, building on Utopian ideals expressed through modernist concepts and art movements throughout history. Zero-waste pattern techniques, natural dye solutions, intricate textile printing and second-hand sourced materials are utilised to discourage mindless consumption and encourage thoughtful ownership, to break through the cyclical paradigm of the industry, bringing back the true artistic value of making and wearing clothes
I see fashion as a universal language. A fusion of social, cultural and aesthetic elements in the most relatable and authentic form of communication. A physical mechanism of intangible values; a platform for change and innovation.
I want to live in a world where clothing is treasured, its ambiguity celebrated through individual expression. Where exploring one’s identity through dress is a social norm.
I envision designing and creating as a holistic, collaborative process fuelled with thought, emotion and connectedness. My creative practice will cultivate these notions with an open mind, proposing an alternate system for a fashionable Utopia.
THE CODE OF MODA UTOPICA
1. Fashion will forever be a form of art
2. Garments are to be owned rather than consumed; it is my responsibility to promote this in every piece I make
3. Fashion must be adaptable, for versatility and longevity
4. All dress is androgynous; some may be more appropriate for certain body shapes, but all garments are essentially non-binary
5. Everybody has an intuitive flair; a higher self which we can communicate and share through clothing
6. Mother Nature is a source of guidance and inspiration; we must live in unified harmony to sustain life as intended
7. Transparency through all practices is a non-negotiable
8. Waste must be kept to a minimum; abandoned materials to be utilized first and full liability is to be taken for virgin fibres
9. Sartorial changes are to be made with an intent to innovate
10. Fashion with life, vibrancy and a social narrative will be cherished for eternity
Katie is the designer behind KJS and creator of MODAUTOPICA. Over the course of her degree she has developed a passion to design for a sustainable and connected future, through inspirations of art, history and culture.